Legal Routes at the District Court

Noise Complaints under the 1992 EPA Act, Section 108

(1) Where any noise which is so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place, a local authority, the Agency or any such person may complain to the District Court and the Court may order the person or body making, causing or responsible for the noise to take the measures necessary to reduce the noise to a specified level or to take specified measures for the prevention or limitation of the noise and the person or body concerned shall comply with such order.

(2) It shall be a good defence, in the case of proceedings under subsection (1) or in a prosecution for a contravention of this section, in the case of noise caused in the course of a trade or business, for the accused to prove that—

(a) he took all reasonable care to prevent or limit the noise to which the complaint relates by providing, maintaining, using, operating and supervising facilities, or by employing practices or methods of operation, that, having regard to all the circumstances, were suitable for the purposes of such prevention or limitation, or

(b) the noise is in accordance with—

(i) the terms of a licence under this Act, or

(ii) regulations under section 106.

(3) Before a complaint is made to the District Court under subsection (1) the local authority or the person concerned, as the case may be, shall serve a notice in the prescribed form of the intention to make such a complaint, within such time as may be specified in the notice, on the person alleged to have made or have caused or have been responsible for the noise.

(4) This section shall not apply to noise caused by—

(a) aircraft, or

(b) such statutory undertaker or local authority, as may be prescribed, in the exercise of powers conferred on it by or under any enactment in such circumstances as may be prescribed.

Complaints through the EPA

If you’ve been dealing with an EPA licensed site and the problem has not been resolved then you should contact the EPA.   For a full list of sites/activities licenced by the EPA, please use our licence search function.

When you have made a complaint to the Local Authority, and you are not satisfied that the complaint has been investigated satisfactorily.

The EPA will review the local authority’s performance and help you where possible.  Please note that the EPA will not become involved until the relevant local authority has first been given an opportunity to investigate your complaint.
Local Authority Advice

NIECE-National Protocol for Dealing with Noise Complaints for
Local Authorities. To download this document, click  here